Sunday, September 4, 2011

Bloom's Digital Taxonomy

Throughout the courses I have taken prior to starting the education program at my college and during, a common idea has been prevalent in all of them. It is Bloom's Taxonomy


We have learned about the original taxonomy first proposed by Benjamin Bloom in 1956, and have studied Bloom's Revised Taxonomy (proposed by Anderson) more in depth in my methods and assessment courses. 


I am also learning that there have been many proposals for a revision to Bloom's original taxonomy, and I was asked to consider the one proposed by Marzano. This taxonomy deals more with the different systems (self-system, metacognitive system, and the cognitive system) and three different domains of knowledge (information, mental procedures, psychomotor procedures) whereas the original taxonomy dealt mainly with the cognitive system. 


Using Marzano's taxonomy would be useful in planning instruction and assessment because it deals more with varying types of activities, whereas Bloom's taxonomy can be primarily assessed through pen-and-paper methods only. The use of Marzano's taxonomy in a mathematics classroom I feel won't differ much from the use of Bloom's revised taxonomy because the types of objectives in a math class do not deal with the psychomotor domain. Many of the levels of Bloom's taxonomy weave through both information and mental procedures in the cognitive system by challenging students to ultimately create their own material. Using either Bloom's or Marzano's taxonomy in a classroom requires prior assessment of the students in order to apply the taxonomy to the fullest potential. Planning for one class does not carry over to another, even if they are the same content. 


In my assessment course we are asked to describe whether or not we favor one taxonomy over the other. In the realm of mathematics, I feel like the two taxonomies are comparable, but I do not prefer either. I instead want to use Bloom's Digital Taxonomy. Below is a Prezi on the digital revision to Bloom's Taxonomy. I am excited to have found it since I want to encourage my students to be 21st century learners. In order to encourage learning and growth in the computer generation, I must be comfortable with my own computer fluency. I encourage you to watch the prezi and share your ideas!


No comments:

Post a Comment